Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The best whipped cream

If you've ever eaten homemade whipped cream, you know it's so much tastier and creamier than the store bought frozen stuff. And it doesn't have all the oils and chemicals that the frozen stuff does either.

The ingredients are simple - heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract (if desired) and powdered sugar if you want a little sweetness. Once you've tried homemade, you won't want to touch the fake stuff.

The secret to getting the fluffiest whipped cream is also simple - use a metal bowl and beaters that you've chilled in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. I use my Kitchenaid bowl and whisk attachment.

Pour the whipping cream into the chilled mixing bowl and add a teaspoon of vanilla. Start mixing slowly. As the cream thickens, gradually speed up the mixer. Soft peaks will form. If you want to sweeten the whipped cream, add a couple of teaspoons of powdered sugar and whip some more.

When the whipped cream has reached the desired consistency, store covered in the fridge until ready to use. This is awesome on fresh fruit or pudding. You can also use it in place of Cool Whip in your favorite recipes.

For more helpful tips and tricks, visit Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family.

4 comments:

  1. I would have never thought of that! Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made whipped cream in ages. As soon as I have some room in my freezer for that big Kitchenaid bowl (and the mixer), I'll have to make some. I'm thinking banana splits, LOL! (Although I absolutely adore whipped cream on chocolate pudding! Total decadence!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh whipped cream.... there is nothing better. I could sit and eat the bowl of it...I usually throw in some fruit or something just to look normal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love "homemade" whipped cream! I've heard that trick before but never tried it. I think I'll have to. Also, since the last time I made it, I've read a tip about storing leftover whipped cream. Put it in little blobs on waxed paper and put that in the freezer. When frozen transfer to a freezer bag. Presto! Quick whipped cream topping for hot drinks. Now I'm going to have to make a good dessert to try both tricks!

    ReplyDelete