Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hash Brown Casserole

I like to eat at Cracker Barrel because of their home-cooked comfort foods. Chicken and dumplings, anyone? But no matter what I order, I always get hash brown casserole as a side. I just really, really like potatoes and cheese together. Yum!

So when a friend gave me a recipe similar to CB's hash brown casserole, I was thrilled. I've fixed this countless times for get-togethers, church dinners and as a side dish for steak. It's great as a breakfast casserole since you can prepare it the night before, then pop it into the oven. And it's even better than the Cracker Barrel version, in my opinion.

Here's what you need:

1 pkg (30 oz) frozen shredded hash browns
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I like sharp cheddar)
salt and pepper

Place frozen hash browns in the fridge overnight to thaw. Or you can put them in a colander and run hot water over them. Just squeeze out the excess water before you mix up the casserole.

In a large bowl, combine the soups, sour cream, one cup of the cheese and salt and pepper to taste.



Add the hash browns and mix thoroughly. This is why you need a big bowl!




Spread into a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes. I like the cheese to be a little crispy around the edges.


This serves a lot of people, so it's perfect for a large gathering. Leftovers are great the next day, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment