Monday, March 15, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

Can you believe I'd never had shepherd's pie until I made it last week? I don't know what I was waiting for. It's really, really good. Comfort food at its best. And it was really easy.

Charles had eaten shepherd's pie at an Irish restaurant in NYC or Boston a few years ago and told me how good it was. Of course, he couldn't remember exactly what was in it, just that it was very tasty. I made a mental note to find a recipe and try to recreate it for him, but life apparently got in the way and the mental note got erased. As I was pondering St. Patrick's Day coming up, I thought shepherd's pie would be a nice thing to try. Charles was really pleased with the results.

Here's what you need:

1 lb ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 can green beans, drained
1 teas garlic powder
1/2 teas salt
1/2 teas pepper
1 teas dried rosemary
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups mashed potatoes
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Brown the ground beef and onion. Drain. Stir in the beans, 1/2 teas of garlic powder, salt, pepper, rosemary and soup.



Spread the mixture into a greased 8x8 pan or a 9-inch pie pan. In a separate bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, the remaining garlic powder, and sour cream. Carefully spoon over meat mixture. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.


Return to the oven for another 10 minutes until cheese is melted and the pie is bubbly.


Charles gave this his stamp of approval. He even called dibs on the leftovers for lunch the next day. The kids weren't thrilled with this dish, but they're not that fond of casseroles so I wasn't surprised. I thought it was delicious and look forward to making this again.

3 comments:

  1. I have always made this recipe with tomato soup. I love mine, but maybe I'll try the mushroom soup someday. Three or four of my girls like this and so do at least half of the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making this tonight! Thanks for the recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making this tonight. I have left over mashed potatoes and green beans in the frig. Perfect! Thanks

    ReplyDelete