Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Soft Sandwich Rolls

I've really been trying to make as much from scratch as I can. I needed some sandwich rolls to use in making some chicken sandwiches, so I came up with this recipe. They turned out soft and delicious. You do need to plan ahead with this recipe, because it requires two risings.

Here's what you need:

1 1/4 cup warm water
1 TBSP honey
2 1/2 teas yeast
2 TBSP olive oil
3 cups flour (I used half white, half wheat)
1 teas salt

In a mixing bowl, dissolve the honey in the warm water. Stir in the yeast and let proof for 10 minutes. It will bubble up and smell yeasty. Shocker, huh? Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Knead until the dough forms a ball, about 5 minutes. I use the Kitchenaid for this, but you can do it by hand. Cover and set in a warm place to rise until double in size, about an hour.


I can't believe I waited until the dough rose to take pictures! Anyway, divide the dough into eight pieces. Roll each into a ball, then flatten into ovals with your hand. Place on greased baking sheets.



Cover and let rise until doubled in size.


Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. I brushed mine with a little butter after taking them from the oven.


These were really tender and tasty! They would be perfect for hamburger or hotdog buns. Just divide into smaller pieces and shape accordingly. This recipe would probably yield 12 buns.

4 comments:

  1. These look really good! I have a sandwich roll recipe of my own but I just might have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!! homemade rolls.
    I have an AWARD for you come by and visit.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, these were soft the next day, too. My kids couldn't get enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog and this recipe via pinterest. These rolls were wonderful! I made them tonight.

    ReplyDelete